Thursday 9 August 2012

Yogic Fortune Cookie



The handout from my raw food uncooking workshop included a coupon for a free class at a local yoga studio. I was finally able to take advantage of the offer this afternoon.

When I walked into the class, the teacher was walking around with a deck of letter envelope-sized cards fanned out. They were royal blue with a white star on the back. The teacher knelt by each student on their mat, asked them their name and then warmly introduced herself before offering a 'yoga card.' I've been to a lot of yoga studios over the years, and this is not a custom I had encountered previously. However, I gathered this was pretty normal for the other students based on their reactions. It was a kind of yogic fortune cookie, minus the cookie.

I pulled out a card from the middle of the pack, not really expecting much from the exercise (I admit I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things). Here is what it said:

Resistance is futile. You cannot control the world around you. Trust in the Universe that everything will work out for the best in the end. God is with you, and He will give you the strength and the tools you need to overcome the challenges in your life. Surrender to inner peace.

I reread it three times.

It was a very appropriate message for me at this time in my life.

Life can be funny like that -- the people you run into, the reading material you stumble across, the song on the radio. Sometimes the stars align to gently remind you that you're on the right track and things are going to be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment