Saturday 2 June 2012

Planning Space

While hunting for my current apartment, I dreamed I would be able to have a guest room, a yoga/meditation area, a painting area, a piano area, and a king-sized bed. Given my budget, these were pretty lofty ideas. I ended up renting a bright, open concept pseudo-two-bedroom apartment in a charming old building. I felt I was a bit at a loss as to how to make the most of my space. I wanted to create an open, welcoming environment that was also very practical.

I happened to stumble across a list of popular interior design web tools, and decided to try one of the free options (Floor Planner Basic). This is what I came up with:

I wasn’t very good at getting the walls to line up in 90o angles. However, the program was still able to take my amateur sketch and turn it into this:

The king-sized bed didn't fit. Multi-purpose space would have to be the name of the game. There was no room to have dedicated areas for each of my hobbies. The exercise helped me visualize the reality of my space versus the spacious dream I had in my head. I am really glad I did this exercise before ordering furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment